Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Comfort from Psalm 33

A person can get out of whack moving at the speed of culture. Always feeling the need to catch up, which means feeling constantly behind, can put a person on a permanent caffeine and adrenaline binge. The kinds of things that must be give attention these days makes for good head scratching material.

For example, my Yahoo homepage just showed me that Paris Hilton is out of jail and then it offered me 187 photos of her release. I was not interested in 187 photos of her release. Why is something like this important?

Paris, bless her heart, is the symbol of what Solomon talked about long ago - a chasing after the wind. She is here for a little while and then she will be gone. Something else symbolizing meaninglessness will come and replace her. Then her name will be on a trivia card for some fad game people play to pass the time. After that, she'll be gone forever.

What has given me comfort and hope this morning is Psalm 33. Verse 11 says, "

...the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.

I really like that God's plans cross the span of generations. The very best of my own plans include fundung my retirement (a plan not being well accomplished at this point) and giving my children the kind of love and nurture that prepares them for living life. It is comforting to know that God has got an eye on the big picture.

However, it could be a little troubling to think of God having such grand plans. Do little people who cover a little time span have a part in the plan? Oh yes, as we pick up in verse 18,

...the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love.

God's eyes are able to be big picture and personal at the same time. Today, I will take comfrot in that fact.

No comments: