What is similar between how the American Restoration Movement began and how the emerging church is, well, emerging? Here are ten similarities, though there are more:
1. Eschewed denominational allegiance.
2. Sought to understand the Bible free from established interpretations.
3. Anti-institutional (or at least skeptical of institutions).
4. Although there are some loonies attached to each movement, the main movers and shakers are courageous mvers and shakers who put their ministry where their mouth is.
5. Fit the philosophical zeitgeist of the day.
6. Had influence beyond its own circles.
7. No one runs the movements.
8. At their beginnings, very diverse.
9. Resisant to denominationalizing (Resotration churches eventally succombed. What will emerging churches do?)
10. Willing to "reboot" Christianity in order to save it.