Pages

Friday, October 21, 2005

Saved By Doubt? (maybe?)

Mike Cope got the ball rolling here with a post on doubt. I've included my comment below.

Doubt may be what saves me from unbelief - or maybe I should say misplaced belief.

If it were not for doubt, how many false beliefs would I maintain with the certainty that they were actually reflective of God? And what is belief in something false but an insidious and dangerous kind of unbelief?

My experience, riddled with doubt as it is, tells me that God gives us the gift of doubt so that we will have good faith and not settle for bad faith. He allows doubt in ours lives not because he takes any pleasure in our suffering, but as a way of loving us away from that which would cause a much greater suffering.

3 comments:

Donna G said...

I am so refreshed to hear people talking about dealing with doubt. I can get off on a train of thought that will scare me to death. But normally when I research and think through things I come out stronger on the other side.

Bethie Marie said...

I have doubt about everything, but God.

About God I have certainty.

But God is everything!

No more doubt.

Only certainty!

Bek said...

yes, isn't it good to have doubts like "does God really think I am a hopeless hypocrite? maybe He doesn't...." doubts give room for the truth..."you know what? i think i've had it wrong. I think He sees me as lovely and awesome all the time."