Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

World Vision Party

Amazing as it might seem, my wife (a super genius) was inspired by the Crap For Christ. Yes! This is so cool.

OK, how many of you (if you are a woman), or your wives (if you are a married man) get invited to things like Pampered Chef, Longenborger, Partylite, and things like this? All of you? OK. My wife gets all these invites and just hates them. You don't want to let your friend down, so you go. You spend money you don't have for something you don't need so your friend, the hostess, can qualify for a titanium apple slicer - a must have.

Are you sick and tired of buying crap that costs too much and doesn't do anyone any good? Well have I got good news for you!

Check out this idea from my genius wife - A World Vision Party. Invite couples over for a World Vision party, a party in which they can make a difference. As the host or hostess, you share with the people at the party all of the varied opportunities they have to make a difference and the costs associated with them.

For example, sending a child to school for a year would cost $75. Not too costly and pretty good bang for the buck. $75 puts your kid in school for about a day and half. Or you could work them up a bit and offer them a brood of chickens (a regular egg factory) for only $125. At the end, hit 'em with something big, something crazy, something like this - they can literally buy the farm for only $2,180. Now, most people don't just have a couple grand nestled away for a farm, but then again, it's a whole farm (that's two cows, two goats, two sheep, two pigs, and enough chickens to lay about two dozen eggs a day).

Bring 'em in for a party that matters forever. Or maybe do the Christmas party thing.

Yeah, do your white elephant gifts and sip your wassel. Have a time of it, but why not throw a special party, even a Christmas party for some people who really need it?

I am asking my family for a goat this Christmas. Seriously, that is what is going to be on my Christmas list. Yes, I want a PS3, but I am asking for a goat. I don't need any more books (for now), CD's, clothes, or food. Please no food. All I want for Christmas is a goat. Heck, I'll take a couple goats.

Any daring soul out there willing to host a World Vision Party?

8 comments:

Mark Elrod said...

I "buy" my dad a goat or pig for Christmas every year from Heifer International. He says he likes it -- I kinda ran out of ideas when he turned 80.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! For father's day we sponsored a child's year of school in honor of my dad--a teacher of 25 years. He was absolutely thrilled. I was surprised at all the options in the WV Gift Catalog; it was easy to find a sponsorship that would hold a special meaning for different family members. If your ingenius wife has this party, tell her to invite me!

Anonymous said...

Tremendous Idea. Sign me up. My wife works for a bank and got a tongue-lashing from some of her co-workers for wanting to give a homeless man a granola bar. They would be at the top of our invite list.

Fajita said...

Ok, I feared I might induce some guilt. Crap is relative, you know. For some it's crap; for others it's fertilizer. But TL, I like your idea.

Donna G said...

Yeah, I've bought a lot of Terri's crap....but in fairness she has never pressured me (it was those dang friends of ours who were winning the "apple slicer)

I love this idea though! I have been wanting to do something different. This may be it!

jettybetty said...

We found this last week--and we are definitely doing it--can't decide between the goat and chickens--perhaps we will just do both--we just don't need any more crap for ourselves.

That Girl said...

Well, now you're making me feel guilty about my Southern Living at Home business!!! Maybe I'll just donate all my profits from a party to World Vision! How 'bout them apples!

DJG said...

Yeah, I've bought a lot of Terri's crap....but in fairness she has never pressured me (it was those dang friends of ours who were winning the "apple slicer)

I love this idea though! I have been wanting to do something different. This may be it!