Pages

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Abortion

With the nomination of Judge Samuel Alito to the supreme court has come the usual fighting and posturing for the battale to come. Unlike Harriet Miers, this guy is going to make it to a vote of confirmation.

What struck me as odd was the very first comment I heard on the news about this guy. "He is so pro-life he even voted to mandate wives to notify their husbands if she gets an abortion." OK, that comment didn't strike me as odd, it angered me.

I guess my views are exposed in my anger. When I think of a married couple in which the wife is pregnant, I consider this woman to be carrying their child. He had just as much to do with becoming pregnant as she did. It was his biological mass (sperm) that met hers (egg) in conception. Conception is a 50/50 thing. Now please, I understand that from that point on, she is doing all off the carrying of the child, being concerned with her health, puking, carrying anxiety about delivery, gaining weight, and on and on. I have observed this experience from close range twice. She also gets the attention, excitement, joy, fulfillment, praise that the chopped liver father does not get, but this fact does not really help the arguement, does it? Let's move on.

If this mass inside of her is a person, then it is their person, not her person. It is their responsibility, not exclusively hers.

Ah, but this sends me off into another direction: Husbands need to be engaged with their pregnant wives on all levels. As much as the extreme pro-choice crowd looks and sounds to me like a cocophonous choir of sickle-wielding abortionists, there needs to be more of an emphasis on the father's responsibility throughout the life of the child. I have actually heard men say that they will start to be involved with the child when he or she can talk, or can "do something," or at other various stages in their development.

Wrong answer, dude!

As I look more closely at this problem, I believe that a good marital relationship (as opposed to legislation) is the best hedge against a wife getting a secret abortion. Good marriages will rarely result in a secret abortion.

6 comments:

Beaner said...

What I hate is when the media takes a statistic (like secret abortions in a marriage) that is like .0003% of the population (made that number up, but you get the idea) and they use it as a point of debate!!!!

David U said...

Chris, you are dead on.........AGAIN! Do you ever get tired of being so right all the time? :)

This nomination is going to get ugly.....or maybe already has. I love what is mother said right off the bat: "Of course he is against abortion".

So am I......of course,
DU

David U said...

HIS mother....sorry. Gotta start re-reading before I type that crazy verification word.

Hoots Musings said...

Ugh Fajita, that was not his comment, that was the Main Stream Media's assessment on the dear man.

I do not think he has said much, just all the talking pundits.

Peggy N Texas said...

You hit it right on when you said men need to be more involved in their wives' pregnancy and also as a father with their child.

My husband was so angered when our children were little and he would be home with the kids when I did something. The reason he would get anger is some other man would say, "you babysitting, again?" He would reply that he does not babysit his own children!!!! That would surprise them. He was a very active father and still is today.

I have been blessed to have him there throughout my life and during my pregnancies, telling me how beautiful I was and ready to do whatever to be a part!

I also agree that good marriages produce good relationships. Of course I am a believer that if mom and dad are close and have their relationship right, the family will succeed. I don't agree with Dr. Laura that the children come first. My mate comes first and then my children are well taken care of by both parents!

Hoots Musings said...

Ugh Fajita, that was not his comment, that was the Main Stream Media's assessment on the dear man.

I do not think he has said much, just all the talking pundits.