Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Word of God Speak#5: I am God's Word

WOGS: Intro
WOGS #1
WOGS #2
WOGS #3
WOGS #4

"I am God's Word." What sounds so wrong about this statement?

For me it is the cult-like feel I get when I hear it. Or maybe the terroristic theology that could emerge from such a power statement. It is what I think people hear Pat Robertson saying, "I am God's Word," when he calls for the assassination of a nation's president. And how well has that really gone over?

It is easy to look to the abuses of this kind of talk and be tempted to run from this statemnt like some infected hot zone. And I know for sure Christians should run from abuses as fast as possible. Christians in America should hold Pat Robertson accountable for this kind of terroristic threatening.

At the same tine, it is clear that God did not quit talking once the Bible was in print. He does not live in the book, He lives in the people.

You are Christ's body--that's who you are! You must never forget this. Only as you accept your part of that body does your "part" mean anything. - I Corintians 12:27

If the incarnation of Christ was God's most proufound communication to humanity that He loves them, then the church must be His second best communication.

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. - John 14:12

Well now wait a minute! Did Jesus just say that the one who has faith in him and what he has done will do even greater things than he? Stop the press!!! Was the church God's better communiucation than Christ?

I don't really get it, but what I do know is that God has intentionally created the church, the collection of people who love Him, to be part of His communication plan to those who do not know of His love.

This is super important that we know this. If God stopped talking when the Bible was written, then we have only the responsibility of trying to be moral. But if God is talking though us, or desires to, then we have an obligation to live like Jesus. Jesus was the first of the church, so to speak. He is the example that we should follow of how to be a communicator of God, because God spoke through Jesus and desires to speak through us in the same way.

Do you get it? God's word in the mouths of humans!!! This is insane. How mature do you have to be to do that any justice whatsoever? How responsible must one be to have this unbelievable privilege?

To say, "I am God's Word," should bring about great fear and trembling, not a some surge of power, control, and authority. It should not be weilded like a weapon, but rather it should be shared like a great treasure.

The Casting Crowns song, If We Are The Body, has something to say about this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool Song!