Pages

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Word of God Speak: An Introduction

When people from my tribe use the phrase, "The Word of God," they are almost always referring to the Bible. In fact, I cannot recall an instance when this phrase was ever used in any other way. The Bible is the Word of God and the Word of God is the Bible. They are synonyms. It is as simple as that, now let's move on.

Well, I have come to believe that this is not only a limited and flawed perspective on what God's Word is, but it is also potentially dangerous. No, let me take it one step farther. It is extremely dangerous and theologically reckless.

That simple connection that God's Word is full and complete in the Bible and that settles it works fine for the modern mind. What is so troublesome is that the modern mind misses so much for the sake of utility. It works if you ignore everything else.

The postmodern mind, with all of its questions and ponderings and doubts, does not just take on simple formulas, file them away, and move along. The postmodern mind wants to know how else God speaks. What else is the word of God? What are the mysteries of our day?

This series of posts is going to be an effort to jump into this question of what the Word of God is.

Exerpt from "Word of God Speak" by Mercyme
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak

Go to Word of God Speak #1

9 comments:

believingthomas said...

I look forward to the series.

Bar L. said...

I am really looking forward to reading your series! I like your blog, don't remember how I found it. Only problem...I get hungry looking at the photo of the yummy fajitias!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, CoC Word of God = The Bible assumption is a big pet peeve of mine. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Steve said...

definitely a peeve of mine as well. can't wait to read and participate in this conversation. Blessings.

David U said...

we are all waiting, oh wise one!
If you're waiting on me, you're backing up!

Sitting on ready,
DU

judy thomas said...

Chris, I remember when we almost had a church split over the words in the hymn "Beyond the sacred page, I seek thee Lord."

Aaron O. said...

Yeah, CoC Word of God = The Bible assumption is a big pet peeve of mine. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Bar Bar A said...

I am really looking forward to reading your series! I like your blog, don't remember how I found it. Only problem...I get hungry looking at the photo of the yummy fajitias!