Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Actionary Vision

John Alan Turner is sick and tired of church leaders praying for vision. So he has called for them to stop praying that way. He'd like to see them praying for spines. Although that comment kind of makes him sound like a blogger tough guy, his point is well taken.

I like what he is saying. There are tons of church leaders looking for and wanting change - positive and transformational change - but they (as my father is known to say) can't find their butt with both hands. It is not that they don't want it, but settling for praying for vision is reason enough not to disrupt the homeostasis of the congregation - something that is ultimately very costly.

So, rather than take risks with creative ministry experiments, they try to be creative within the narrow confines of a dying or stuck system.

Here is what I want to see: I want to see a congregation do a Capital Campaign for homeless people. Larry James thinks it can be done. Check this out. I want to hear about multimillion dollar campaigns for helthcare for people without health insurance. I want to see millions raised by churches for the people who need in their community and across the world.

I want to see actionary vision, not sedentary vision.

8 comments:

Donna G said...

I am loving JAT's post. But I wonder when I "want" the same things you do if maybe I should put together a plan and approach the leaders with it. Perhaps they would step out in faith if they had a well laid out direction.

But, I do like the thoughts of stopping the madness of trying to change while still being the same.

David U said...

That'll preach! AMEN!

Keep em coming, bro.

judy thomas said...

Good points, dear Chris. Let's do it in our lifetime! Yours if longer than mine (days left, I mean)

JamesG3 said...

Amen. The vision's been given already, it's the follow through to which He's called us, and that, as you quoted, takes a spine.

john alan turner said...

Bring it.

Greg said...

So . . . are you staying in Churches of Christ?

Fajita said...

Greg, curious question. Just wondering or you got something up your sleeve?

cgonzalez@betterlife.org

James said...

Amen. The vision's been given already, it's the follow through to which He's called us, and that, as you quoted, takes a spine.