Pages

Friday, August 19, 2005

Lit up and ready scorch the Earth

In May my kids discovered the CD-Roms are breakable. They learned this by shattering a CD-Rom in the computer's CD drive. That CD broke into a million pieces.

So I took it in to the local Geek Shop and asked them what I could do with it. They insisted that I needed a new drive. I was skeptical, but I trusted their Geek powers and knowledge as superior to mine. I didn't feel altogehter good about it, but what am I going to do?

Well, after three days I got my computer back. For some reason, I did not use the drive for a few weeks. When I did, it would not play music, rip songs, or load software. In short, it did not work.

I took it back to the same computer place. The guy who did a super quick, on the spot, check said I had a virus. That seemed fishy since I have a kick-butt Norton anti-virus package and spyware protection. He gave me 2 websites to visit and tip on how to clear temp internet files. I did what he said. It didn't work. I still felt like I had not gotten a fair deal on the drive they put in.

So I took it back and said, "I tried what was suggested and it didn't work. It has not worked since you fixed it."

This morning I got a voicemail from the place indicating that the drive needed to be replaced and it would cost labor and the cost of the drive.

So, I think that they are pulling a fast one on me to start with, and now they have to replace a drive that they already replaced, which never worked once since they replaced it. It will cost over $100 I am sure.

I am really mad right now and I think it is a good thing that the place is not open at 6:03 AM because I feel like walking in with a blow torch and providing them with a new meaning to the term "burning CD's."

OK, I don't own a blow torch and don't even know how to get one, but I am pretty ticked off.

Am I crazy to be so upset? Does this kind of thing happen to everyone? What I really want to do is not pay and walk out with my computer.

Furthermore, I am a Christian who is really mad. And this kind of anger does not qualify under the 1st century "Cleansing the Temple Act," that Jesus invoked. This anger that I have about a thing is not a holy fury, it is a selfish fury. These people are not ripping me off in the name of God, it looks to me like they are just ripping me off (and they actually might not be).

Reflective Pause.

Sigh. There are children dying all over the world because their government is literally withholding food from them. There are people dying of diseases that are 100% treatable and preventable. There are people who drink polluted water daily because it is the only water they have. There are people who, if they had a goat, they would be considered wealthy.

What is my freaking problem?

9 comments:

MichaelPolutta said...

OK, I gotta say that I have never heard of a virus that would hose a CD drive. Perhaps it would hose a CD IN the drive, but not the drive. If they're trying to make you pay for yet another drive, that doesn't smell right.

And, no, I don't think your indignation is unrighteous. I think getting screwed is enough to raise the hackles of just about anyone. Honestly, I think the time to "turn the other cheek" is when there is a spiritual lesson to impart. Not when an unscrupulous vendor is (apparently) trying to fleece you.

Just my 2 cents...

Keith Brenton said...

Injustice is injustice, whether it is social or commercial. Let your hackles ascend.

JamesG3 said...

Very fishy. A virus won't do that, so it sounds like they're trying to get out of covering their work. More than likely they didn't load the right drivers.

Anonymous said...

Click on System Tools and look at system information. Click on DVD/CD Drive and check to see if the correct drivers were installed. To do that, lick on the DVD/CD drive then click on properties. That should tell you if the device is working properly. If not, there is a troubleshoot program to go through.
I'm not a geek but I have been down a similar road as yourself. Did you get a manual with the new CD drive? Check the properties and see if they match the system information.

Fajita said...

Now they are saying that Windows got damaged - by a virus.

Can this happen?

Anonymous said...

Windows has nothing to do with the CD/DVD drive.
They are jerking your chain.

Fajita said...

I did not get a manual with the drive. I will ask for one.

Monday will be an important day for me because I will go in face to face with these guys.

My challenge is two fold. 1. Be a good person. 2. Don't get ripped off.

Fajita said...

Now they are saying that Windows got damaged - by a virus.

Can this happen?

Anonymous said...

Windows has nothing to do with the CD/DVD drive.
They are jerking your chain.