Pages

Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Impossible Choice

I sat in a room with doctors, my family, my siblings, mother and friends. The doctors made it clear: the chances of my father living were minute. Every single option, which were few, were riddled with complications, problems, and massive challenges. When you have to line up 5 "ifs" in a row in order to have a chance to live for a month, and that month will be filled with breathing tubes, dialysis, and constant risk - you have to wonder what the person who is suffering wants.

My next meeting was with my brother and sister. We are the three who make the decision on what to do. We talked, we wept, we prayed. We decided that more efforts would be prolonging his pain, not his life. When we wake up Monday morning, we'll talk again to see if we still think like we are tonight.

So, tonight I try to sleep.

7 comments:

julie said...

I am sorry that you are having to go through all this right now but I am glad that your brothers and sisters are there with you to help in this hard process. I have been there with my husband's father and it was difficult but peaceful once the choice was made. It is what he would have wanted. Prayers are headed to the throne in your behalf...your name is on his heart and being whispered in his ears.

Anonymous said...

LET ME GO
author unknown

We've known lots of pleasure,
And at times endured pain,
We've lived in the sunshine,
And walked in the rain.

But now we're seperated
And for a time apart,
But I am not alone-
You're forever in my heart.

Death always seems so sudden,
And it is always sure,
But what is oft' forgotten- It is not without a cure.

I'm waiting now with someone,
And I know He'll always stay.
I know he is walking with you too,
Giving comfort everyday.

There may be times you miss me,
I sort of hope you do,
But smile when you think of me,
For I'll be waiting for you.

Now there are many things for you to do,
And lots of ways to grow,
So get busy, be happy, and live your life,
Miss me, but let me go.

(Chris, I thought of this poem when I read about the difficult decison you and your family were facing. I hope it helps to comfort you.) LW

JamesG3 said...

You are all in our prayers, brother.

Donna G said...

Praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you at this time.

Anonymous said...

YOu'll sure need the foundation you have in Christ to face some days ahead... whatever they bring. And we're all talking to God on your behalf...

Angie said...

YOu'll sure need the foundation you have in Christ to face some days ahead... whatever they bring. And we're all talking to God on your behalf...