Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Pilgrim of Worship 3: Christmas Songs

You might think that having the dream I had unshackled me and released me to worship God unfettered. Assumptions like that are not wise because they grossly underestimate the power of context. I was still a boy trapped within a family, trapped within a church, trapped within a denomination, trapped within an ideology, trapped within modernity. I pretty much grew up with two options in life: the one true way and Satan's wicked and detestable ways - which meant anything different than the one true way.

Here is how bad it was: Christmas songs were banned during the month of December. Why? Who really knows when Jesus was born? That's why. If it's not in the Bible it is man made and therefore against God - end of discussion. So, when I went to Harding and John Ogren (the one who should be blogging) lead several Christmas hymns at a Wednesday PM Peak of the Week service (in December), I was thrust into conflict. It was 1987 and singing "Walk Like an Egyptian" and "Everybody Wang Chung Tonight" was more acceptable than "Away In a Manger."

It felt all wrong, like I was sinning. What would my mother say? Here I am at a liberal college being indoctrinated away from The Truth. I use the word liberal to mean anything not the way my church did it. That is how I first leanred to use the word liberal - and believe me, where I came from you didn't want to be liberal.

At the same time, however, there was a sense normalcy with 1000 college students all singing together these songs which tell the story of Jesus' birth. My brother (who should be blogging) and I discussed the Christmas songs afterwards. He agreed with me that John was really pushing the envelope with his radical and brazen leading of Christmas hymns in December. I didn't tell my brother that I thought it was kind of cool, too.

As time passed, I thought a lot about what was so wrong about Christmas songs at Christmas and eventually decided that it was okay. Please believe me when I tell you that this was a huge step for me. It was my first real church and faith decision that departed from the prescribed way. But oh baby, it was not the last.

4 comments:

Donna G said...

It seems so ridiculous in retrospect, doesn't it? Yet many still struggle with the same old thing.....heavy sigh!

believingthomas said...

Oh Baby and Wang Chung all in one post! A vertual cornacopia!

I remember in college this big discussion/fight/class about Christmas . The liberal teacher said it was ok to celebrate... he did and still does say that we are sinning when we gather around the piano to sing. But that class was for me a big step.

Trapped is a acurate way of seeing it.

Good stuff.

David U said...

Chris, when you get a taste of freedom, is there a better taste in the world? Thank you for relating the story of SO many of us really well. It's like you are writing from my journal.

Keep em coming!
DU

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

there's so much to comment on...where to begin? Harding...liberal??? That says volumes about your past in and of itself.

I think this journey will be extremely helpful to some people. Isn't it weird when we put things on paper--or screen--that show a way of thinking how sick it can seem? There's so much of this stuff that's just so messed up. So much of our understanding, so many of our man-made rules.

Isn't it the epitomy of irony that a group so "heaven-bent" on not doing anything of man ended up doing the very thing they set out to steer clear from.

Again--the words of Jesus come to mind from Matthew--"You speak of me with your lips but your hearts are far from me." It's sad, but that could be said of so many of our churches.

Reality is everyone needs a Savior. The guy who can't sing near a piano (weird) and the guy who thinks he's totally free in Christ. We all need Him.