Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Narnia

Well, I have seen it. Narnia is good, very good. It does justice, in my opinion, to the book. I really has my doubts about portraying talking animals because every movie I ahve seen with talking animals is terribly done. Disney has found a way to pull it off.

It was not "de-christianized" as many feared it would be. I mean, take the reusrrection of Aslan out of Narnia and you just don't have Narnia - same with Jesus.

I have a new favorite part of the story. At one point in the story, Santa Claus gives gifts to the kids. Lucy gets a potion that can heal any wound. When Edmond receives a terrible woud from the White Witch in the awesome battle scene at the end of the movie, you think he might die. Lucy gives him a drop of potion and heals him.

And here is my favortie part: she realizes the value of her gift when she heals Edmond, and then goes around healing everyone who is wounded. She has to do it one at a time with a personalized drop of her healing potion. She can't just heal them all at once; she has to go to each person and give them this potion. Her gift was not about making war, but about healing after the war, the necessary war, was over.

I guess I find comfort in Lucy as the healer since I am a counselor. I have often struggled over my role in this life. I am not exactly bring throngs to Christ, but I am constantly bringing healing to people, one at a time. Lucy does not lament her role not being a great warrior on the front lines, but she joyfully fills her role when the time for healing begins.

4 comments:

Bek said...

ooooh. sounds good. i can't wait to see it.

Beaner said...

I liked that part too, but I liked how ALL the children fulfilled their destiny by using their gifts. Am I using mine? My other favorite part is when Aslan stands back & lets Peter fight his own battle. It gave me a clearer picture when I sometimes wonder why God isn't helping me out!

Donna G said...

I loved the movie, although it seemed a little slow compared to the book. I think my favorite part was still Aslan telling the children that what Edmund had done was done and should not be talked about again. Forgiveness is such a sweet gift.

Bek said...

ooooh. sounds good. i can't wait to see it.