Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Are you postmodern?

For the follwing items, choose either option 1 or option 2 for which one fits you best. Give yourself 1 point everytime you choose option 1 as your answer and give yourself 2 points for everytime you choose option 2 as your answer. Don't get all cutesy and choose both because it screws everything up for the the scoring. Your final score will range from 26 to 52. Any score outside this range means you did not do the test as I want you to do it. That does not mean what you did is wrong, but it means that you wasted your time taking this test.

Following the test is a scale revealing something about you.

A.
1. I seek truth
2. I seek meaning

B.
1. Most things in life are clear-cut, black and white
2. Most things in life are uncertain and gray

C.
1. Being rational makes sense
2. Being absurd makes sense

D.
1. People should be guided by their thoughts
2. People should be guided by their feelings

E.
1. 1+1=2
2. 1+1= ??? I do not have enough information to give you an answer

F.
1. I should look to authority figures for reliable information
2. I find that wisdom figures help me find my own answers

G.
1. I am supposed to be clearly defined
2. I find myself being intentionally mysterious

H.
1. History is progressive and builds upon itself
2. History is a stirring drama with unpredictable twists

I.
1. Optimism is a virtue
2. Uncertainty is a virtue

J.
1. Uncertainty is faithless
2. Optimism is arrogance

K.
1. I own my destiny
2. We sail or sink together

L.
1. I work, because if I do not, I am lazy and broke
2. I work because it matters, it has meaning

M.
1. Competition creates character
2. Cooperation creates character

N.
1. Being aggressive is effective
2. Being passive is respectful

O.
1. Logic and reason over pragmatics and what works
2. Pragmatics and what works over logic and reason

P.
1. Intolerance is discernment
2. Tolerance is virtuous

Q.
1. I can be persuaded by reason
2. I can be persuaded by wonder

R.
1. Everything in life has a truth to it
2. Few things are universally true

S.
1. Force of will is power
2. Relationship is power

T.
1. You can trust authority, position, and tradition
2. Trust is wise on a case by case basis

U.
1. Linear makes sense A+B=C
2. Random is reality A+ #--> )*L

V.
1. Proof creates belief
2. Story creates belief

W.
1. Life is comprised of a main plot
2. Life is collection of subplots

X.
1. I tend to be an either/or person
2. I tend to be a both/and person

Y.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck:
1. It’s a duck
2. I can never be completely certain that it is a duck

Z.
1. Absolutism gives me confidence
2. Relativism enlightens me

26 Ultra-modern
27-32 Very modern
33-38 Somewhat Modern
39-40 Transitional
41-46 Somewhat Postmodern
47-51 Very Postmodern
52 Freakishly Postmodern

25 comments:

Fajita said...

I'll kick it off. I scored 45, somewhat postmodern. Would love to see some others.

Jenni said...

I scored 40 - on the postmodern end of Transitional.....but I don't really know what this means.

Beaner said...

I scored a 39, but I admit that I was hoping for a choice "C" on a few of those questions!!!

So....I'm a Gen-'X'er, born & raised Catholic, reborn in a CofC. Yeah....I guess I'm 'transitional'!!!

Anonymous said...

I scored 34. Letter N was interesting.

I don't have a clue as to what postmodern means.

Keith Brenton said...

Just as in college, I am unable to score - except perhaps as "equivocal" or "indecisive."

There were too many questions where my answer would have been "3. Both 1. and 2."

Donna G said...

I could have been a lot of both but I scored a 44.

Hey, I can't get to the bottom of your Zoe Meet page. It didn't appear that the link to "Donna" was me, but I want to meet so count me in!!

Fajita said...

Donna, not sure what weird link I gave you on the Zoe Meet Page, but I have fixed it. See you there.

SteveA said...

I think I successfully fought the impulse to skew it toward the postmodern and yet still came up with an honest 44.

Neal said...

42 for me. Dang it, everybody's always more postmodern than me.

Steve said...

42 for me as well. Maybe I am pre post modern

Phil said...

43.5

btw, as a Somewhat Postmodern person, I object to this thoroughly modern quiz, which provided only two choices on all questions.

Fajita said...

As you all can clearly se, this test is flawed in many ways. It is, however, a thought-provoker. Well, maybe just a provoker.

:-)

Hope to see you all, moderns and postmoderns, at Zoe.

Anonymous said...

Scored 28... It seems the higher the number the less a person knows truth and the lower the number the more certain a person knows things to be absolute.

JBlogger said...

OK, I'm unable to get a score because for several I got (3) Both; and (0) Neither. ;-)

JBlogger said...

I went back and made myself pick one (seriously, I'm so both/and on some of these). I got 46.

Rob Cox said...

Interesting quiz. Some of my answers would have been neither if that was a choice. I scored an unapologetically modern 33.

I hope to meet you at the conference!

Steve said...

I think I successfully fought the impulse to skew it toward the postmodern and yet still came up with an honest 44.

Anonymous said...

I got a 52. It appears as though I have reached into the depths of postmodernism, as the idea compares to an Italian white stone...idk. NOTICE ME SENPAI, NOTICE ME!

Unknown said...

I'd like to used this for a magazine I'm making!

LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!!!

Will credit you 100%

Anonymous said...

Score of 28; very modern.

Anonymous said...

I got a 23.5 help me subsribe to pewdiepie and defeat T-Series

Anonymous said...

i got a 36 but i need you to dislike youtube rewind 2018 and subscribe to pewdiepie

Anonymous said...

This was a huge waste of my time the questions were retarded and the author has no idea what they are talking about also what is postmodern.

Elizabeth said...

I feel as if I'm more postmodern than this quiz because most of my answers were beyond the black and white taxonomy of these questions.

Elizabeth said...

I feel as if I'm more postmodern than this quiz because most of my answers were beyond the black and white taxonomy of these questions.