Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Smells Like Church Spirit #3

Smells Like Church Spirit #1
Smells Like Church Spirit #2
Smells Like Church Spirit #2.5


In fifth grade I became friends with Al because of baseball. We lived one block away from each other in the neighborhood. Al and I played baseball in all of its forms. Pounch (our unique brand of wiffle ball), pitcher-catcher, “pop-em-up”, groundball, dice baseball, ping pong baseball, “the game off the garage,” computer baseball, Intellevision baseball, Atari baseball, and oh yeah, little league – we were on the same team. Were you to extract baseball from our friendship, I would dare say that little else would remain. Well, it’s not that baseball is all we did, but rather it was what named our relationship. We did other things totally unrelated to baseball as well. We did things like trade baseball cards – wait. No really, we played Dungeons and Dragons, stayed over at each other’s houses, and went to school together. We had a good friendship.

Al liked me because I was a good challenge in baseball, but also because I was honest, kind, and a loyal friend. I was fair and even unfair to his advantage sometimes. Through the years I never drank or smoked, or did drugs or partied or anything like that. He was the same way. I was a safe friend who had his parents’ approval and vice versa. Neither of us were too much into girls, but enough to, you know, make sure we knew where we stood and all, but neither of us were overtly obsessed with them. Playboys and girly magazines were not a part of this friendship.

In fact, I think Al’s mom wanted to adopt me. The fact that I already had parents threw a monkey wrench into her plans, but the way she smiled when I came over made me feel welcome and accepted. I think my mom had some adoptions plans for Al as well. Those never materialized either. But that was OK, we remained friends and are to this day, though we live in different places and don’t contact each other all that often. We’ll still play fantasy baseball every now and again.

We got into trouble, though, when we talked church. You see, since he was an Assemblies of God dude and I was a Church of Christ boy, I knew that he needed serious help. It really bothered me that my good friend had been under the influence of the false teachers and was in all likelihood going to Hell. So, I did the right thing, I argued with him about the one and only way to worship: acappella. I figured I’d start with the most important things and go down the line from there. Next was baptism, and none of this heretical baptism of the Spirit mumbo jumbo either – only the real baptism found in the Bible. I was going to tell him about true baptism, the only kind that really takes away sins.

So we argued and argued about singing only worship. He was so perplexed by this argument and with the energy I had behind it. Couldn’t he plainly see the truth? How could my friend who was a straight A student be so stupid when it came to God? Strange thing in these arguments is that we never actually used the Bible in our deep theological rants to each other. Looking back, it is a good thing we didn’t use the Bible since I would have had nothing to show him.

Since I couldn’t convince Al about the truth by mere conversation, I thought that if he had an experience of the truth then he would finally come to his sense. So I got him to come to church.

“Come Ye That Love The Lord…” rang out in four part harmony without the filthy contamination of those hideous instruments. I was glad we sang that song because I liked it and I figured that since Al claimed that he loved the Lord (even though I knew he really didn’t) that his sin would be exposed and he would confess, go forward and give his life to the Lord – for real.

After church was over, I asked him, really trying not to be too smug or sure of myself (though I couldn’t help it), “So, now what do you think of real worship?”

“What does the word ‘ye’ mean?” He asked. And when he said ‘ye’ he made quotes with his fingers and made a face like a monkey that just got poked in the butt with a stick. He was mocking me badly.

“Huh?” I was stunned. He just experienced true worship, so how could he have a question?

“Yeah, that one song said, ‘Come ye,’ I want to know what I sang.” Behind his taunts was an actual question.

“It means you,” I said quite unamused, “all of you.”

“There is something wrong with your music,” he said, feeling a little more comfortable with his critique than I thought was appropriate before God almighty.

This was a very strange exchange. And the older I get the more weird it appears. How did my deep theological thoughts, my love for my friend, and my concern for his eternal destiny get reduced to me defending the use of the word, “ye” in a hymn?

When I sort out my spiritual history, I find that there are things that smell so attractive that anyone would want to be a part of it. Who doesn’t want a loyal friend who is kind and honest? I learned that stuff in church and in my family. I also find that there are things that smell hideous and wonder how anyone tolerated me. Who wants a friend who is obsessed with microscopic and non-existent particles of theology? I learned to do this from my church. My loyalty to God and depth of spirituality was measured by the degree to which I could defend those fat sacred cows.

What I have been doing and will continue to do is to kill those sacred cows and make a fine smelling roast out of them.

10 comments:

CL said...

I had a friend named Bryan and we had the same exact thing happen, I visited with him a bunch. Actually, I remember visiting the AOG church with him one time, we got in the car and I told his mom, "that whole speaking in tongues thing is not scriptural, plus it's scary, weird and rediculous. God doesn't speak gibberish you know?" After I went some with him and liked some of the kids in the youth group that we went to school with. I tried to convince my parents that we should just start going to church there, since we had to drive a whole thirty minutes to church, and it wasn't "that much different" I remember never being aloud to go again. I was funny.

Donna G said...

So were you/are you ever ashamed to tell the "tribe" your associated with because of the way we have "smelled" in the past?

I was and am.....(too many " marks?)

k2 said...

when i tell people that i am a member of a coC i have to also tell them that what they have heard in the past about most churches is not what i believe. most people are turned off when i say i go to a coC, but i tell them that i do not believe that we are "the only christians" i believe we are "only christians" and people think that is weird.
i also do not believe that the kjv is the only God inspired version of the bible. i use a nlt, and sometimes the teachers of classes ask for someone with a niv read after me if i read in class, because it is too weird.
however, the church that i attend in mobile is not like the others. they are very welcoming, and loving. i am not saying that port city is the only church like that, but i attended about 5 of them in the area and port city was the most loving, in my opinion.
just thought i would share.
i like your posts fajita. keep 'em coming!

believingthomas said...

I remember my best friends parents telling us once, (related to another denomination) It doesn't matter what's on the door but what is inside. They went on to tell as an example, we go to Calvary Baptist and Tommy goes to the Church of Christ but we all love each other.

I thought: 1. well it does matter what's on the door (talk about a STUPID!!!! sacred cow) 2. your going to hell 3. don't nobody love you baptists in at the Church of Christ 4. Pass the peas.

Unlike you Chris, I wandered far from the ideal path (always in church on Sunday and Wednesday though) But I couldn't committ for a long time because of the inconsistancies (in part) that I saw even then.

DJG had too many " and I have too many ()

David U said...

Chris, what an EXCELLENT post and witness! LOTS of us can relate to your experience with Al, and could tell story after story that sounds like a carbon-copy (I date myself, huh....are those things still around?) of your story with Al.
How many opportunites were wasted over the years because WE put a premium on being distinct and unique from other believers, when what He called us to was to be distinct and unique from the WORLD?! It's a sad history, and a heritage that we should confess and repent of. The saddest thing is that there are those amongst us who not only want to continue that mindset, they want to take it a notch further. And another one will want to notch it up more.....and the next thing you know we are the Amish saying how many buttons you can put on a coat or how many stitches of thread you can use for a garment. All in the name of being distinct and unique........yet irrelevant to the lost world around us.

TCS and Donna, I got you on the CAPS button! We ALL have our weaknesses, huh? :)

Keep feeding us Chris!

OCAppleMBA said...

I love this post, and I hate the truth behind it in the same breath. The extremely sad part is when you consider that most old-school "Church" members would have you marked for saying the words "sacred cow" in regard to instrumental music. What I have found in these blogs, however, is the tendency for many of the minor-leaguers (23-30 year old preachers) to espouse the same indiscriminant hatred towards anything non-CofC. Being in this category myself, I saw the writing on the wall, and knew that if I wanted to be a major part of removing the chasm between CofC and Independent Christian Congregations that I would have to play ball on the other side of that fence. I love my CofC brothers who will accept me, but my love for instruments and non-sectarianism drew me elsewhere.

k2 said...

i hope someone can help me here. i really like the humor and truthfullness on this blog.

what would is that if someone can tell me how to add the google search thing on my blog that would be sweet!

Scott said...

Chris asked "Who wants a friend who is obsessed with microscopic and non-existent particles of theology?"

The simple answer to that question is God does. "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments: and His commandments are not grievous." (1 John 5:3) The issues you bring up in your post are very serious. They have to do with our obedience to God. Are we willing to obey the commands of God? Are we willing to obey Him by being baptized for the remission of sins? (Acts 2:38) Are we willing to obey Him and not forsake the assembly? (Hebrews 10:25) Are we willing to obey Him and worship Him properly by simply singing? (Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16) We must speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent. (1 Pet. 4:11) The Bible tells us simply to sing. We are not to add to the Word of God. (Rev. 22:18-19) The answer to your question is simple. Who wants a friend like that? God does!

David U said...

Chris, what an EXCELLENT post and witness! LOTS of us can relate to your experience with Al, and could tell story after story that sounds like a carbon-copy (I date myself, huh....are those things still around?) of your story with Al.
How many opportunites were wasted over the years because WE put a premium on being distinct and unique from other believers, when what He called us to was to be distinct and unique from the WORLD?! It's a sad history, and a heritage that we should confess and repent of. The saddest thing is that there are those amongst us who not only want to continue that mindset, they want to take it a notch further. And another one will want to notch it up more.....and the next thing you know we are the Amish saying how many buttons you can put on a coat or how many stitches of thread you can use for a garment. All in the name of being distinct and unique........yet irrelevant to the lost world around us.

TCS and Donna, I got you on the CAPS button! We ALL have our weaknesses, huh? :)

Keep feeding us Chris!

DJG said...

So were you/are you ever ashamed to tell the "tribe" your associated with because of the way we have "smelled" in the past?

I was and am.....(too many " marks?)