Pages

Friday, June 03, 2005

Church Buildings Emasculate Men


Posted by Hello

"You’d have to admit a Christian man is…bored.”
John Eldredge Wild At Heart

(Warning, I am going to be stereotypical of men in this sections)

Men have often been known to pursue power and ownership. Although it is not true across the board, I don’t think I'm way off the mark on this one. Furthermore, I do not think that it is bad. In fact, I think that it is part of how men are made in the image of God.

The bad thing is that churches with buildings are not exactly the safest place for a man, given his nature, to thrive.

Saddle a church with a building and gather a bunch of people together and men will naturally gravitate toward power and ownership. Again, this is not a bad thing, but what is bad is how that sense of power and ownership is used. Hierarchies quickly materialize, creating space for an impotent bureaucracy and lots of middle managers jockeying for position. Positions of authority are created and filled by men. Positions of service are needed and are assigned, by men to women.

Remember the Monster.com commercial showing children sharing their dreams, but lame dreams? One boy said with confidence, “I want to work my way into middle management.” Ultimately, what a building does is help promote men to middle management in church. Then, rather than protecting and expanding the kingdom of God, men get too interested in protecting and expanding their kingdom - measured in the building size and number of people. While being absorbed in middle management, they lose their pioneering spirit and sense of adventure – in church anyway. Or their pioneering spirit is wasted on something like a building project. In short, the church building helps domesticate men who were never meant to be domesticated.

There is a building; there are people, so manage they will. They’ll have meetings, discuss things, find ways to “be good stewards,” make decisions and so on. They will use the word ministry when they really mean manage. It’s sad, but without significant intervention, it is the best they men can do in church.

Oh they’ll find a way to satisfy that adventure spirit through hunting, over a hand of Texas Hold’em, or living vicariously through the Dallas Cowboys, but in church, they are merely middle managers. And if they cannot find a comfy middle management position in church, they’ll just exist as a pew warmer having been dragged to church by his wife.

So, men take their God-given attraction for power and ownership and find the lowest common denominator available to them and milk it for all it’s worth. It’s not that men are inherently this way, but rather it is the easiest way for them to behave given the options. Real male spirituality hardly even exists in churches in part because the men are managing buildings and people and no one is showing them anything different.

I addressed this somewhat in a blog post called jumping the low hurdles.

Lynn Anderson’s book, They Smell Like Sheep, addresses church leadership much better than I do and offers some great alternatives. It’s worth a look.

What men need to be doing in church is using their power to lift up the fallen, to heal the broken, to exalt the humiliated. The only beneficial use of power is to give it away for the benefit of the others.

What men need to be doing in church is using their sense of ownership to supply the needy, fund the underfunded, share the assets.

What men need to be doing is pioneering new church plants, launching new ministries of social justice, and constructing ways to serve children that is more than becoming a "male mother."

If men do not intentionally break new ground in church, their church buildings will turn heroic, courageous, and pioneering men into middle managers. What a tragic waste!




New post on parenting teens at Christian Parenting.

13 comments:

Neal said...

AMEN. I find myself struggling with this all the time. It's why I'm really frustrated right now with ministry. I so busy playing church games and managing stuff that I barely have time to prepare to teach, cram all that into Saturday and wake up on Sunday realizing that I haven't really cared for anybody all week.

Donna G said...

You just keep me stirred up! I am not complaining.

This is exactly why you will find a large number of men on the local board of Habitat for Humanity. They would truly prefer to be "doing something".

You know what? We women would prefer to be doing something too! I pray that I will see the day when traditions are left behind and we just try to be like Jesus. I realize that will probably not happen in my current church home. That makes me sad, but I am realistic enough to know that the "moving" may be up to me!

Keith Brenton said...

I think you're blaming the buildings with just a little bit of tongue-in-cheek.

Wouldn't we guys, if distributed among house churches, eventually find a way to buy a building so we could be like all the other churches?

(You can take the boy out of the church building, but you can't ...)

I guess I'm looking for something that not only gets away from buildings, but the whole idea of "church" altogether; something that starts with kingdom living and just goes from there.

Has anybody out there tried that? And, in the words of the imitable Dr. Phil, "How's that workin' for ya?"

David U said...

Chris, the mission statement for Downtown and the Shepherds there is as follows...taken straight out of Ezekiel 34: "we will bound up the injured, bring back the strays, search for the lost, and strengthen the weak."

If were are about that kind of mission, we don't have time to be middle managers!

SUPER POST, and as always....thanks for challenging us, brother!

In HIM,
DU

Keith Brenton said...

Can I have a second shot at a comment?

I just wanted to say that, thanks to a few big buildings and a few mondo-but-not-quite-megachurches, I have enjoyed being part of some singing that approaches the oceanic proportions of heaven at the pond level - rather than at the puddle level of a few microchurches I've attended. It's not that spirit is lacking in small churches; often, quite the opposite. It's not quality; it's quantity. Sometimes I'm uplifted by the quantity of volume and voices. I don't know that I need it all the time, but I think I do need that occasional audio clip of heaven.

Flip side of the coin: Could I get my volume fix at lectureships or at a stadium revival instead of a big big church? Probably.

Sadly, I'm part of a pretty big church but our singing lately has seemed like the equivalent of pond - and sometimes "puddle" - proportions. That is a quality issue. I don't know how to address it.

There's probably a woman out there who has the answer.

Am I being sexist to suggest that women have it all over us men when it comes to heart issues, and men have difficulty focusing on anything but head issues?

Neal said...

Keith,

Nope. Not being sexist. Any head-based arguments may fall apart, but my experience tells me you are very, very right.

Fajita said...

Laura' comment on my last post is really the key. As much as our battle is not against flesh and blood, it is not against brick and mortar.

What these two posts are meant to expose is how Satan ustilizes what we have come to trust (need, exalt, worship) as a weapon against us and we don't even know it.

Well, now we do.

Keith Brenton said...

Well, singing seemed much better today! Maybe that's because of the "all-Jesus, all the time" worship format that seemed to be in place both a.m. and p.m.!

Would it have sounded just as good at Bee Rock or the overlook at Takhodah or a rented theatre or an old abandoned Wal-Mart? Probably.

So ... what if we abandoned those buildings one more night a week and spent those Wednesday nights we've already set aside going out into our communities in groups and doing good?

Fajita said...

Keith, agreed.

My house church/small group (whatever) met tonight and we talked about being church, about having a mission, about spending the money that's been given us in the best way, about deeper relationships, about everything that our church buildings make it so very hard for us to do.

It was refreshing to dream again.

Jeffrey said...

Chris (Fajita)/Keith,

Great conversation going on here. John Eldredge is truly one of my favorite guys.

I'm the pastor/planter/whatever of a new church in Mt. Juliet, TN (suburb of Nashville), and we've been having the very same discussion (word for word) about how to BE church. It's an interesting convo that's difficult to happen inside the walls of the church BUILDING (which is not the church-ok, got that off my chest).

Keith, the "trick" I think you're looking for is how do those who have buildings focus on BEING church w/o getting that confused with bricks and mortar, which often encourage merely "doing" church? Answer--??? But the adventure and failures of trying is sure to rock!

believingthomas said...

Well, I don't know that anyone will see this, since I am late on the post. But Good thoughts Fajita. I read Wild at Heart several years ago and thought..."this guy is either really right or he is evil".

From an architect, Why did God design the tabernacle and then Temple? Why did Isreal have a building? Neither of them were utilitarian, ugly or cheap!

Fajita said...

TCS, good question about the Temple & stuff. My don't-know-much-theology-of-the-OT guess is that it was a communication to Israel what the presence of God was like. Or maybe it was a way to form them as a people with identity. Or perhaps it was not really God's origianl idea and hten he allowed it and used it like he did with the idea of kings.

Having a king was not God's idea, but he ran with it and used the king metaphor - a lot.

DJG said...

You just keep me stirred up! I am not complaining.

This is exactly why you will find a large number of men on the local board of Habitat for Humanity. They would truly prefer to be "doing something".

You know what? We women would prefer to be doing something too! I pray that I will see the day when traditions are left behind and we just try to be like Jesus. I realize that will probably not happen in my current church home. That makes me sad, but I am realistic enough to know that the "moving" may be up to me!