Pages

Monday, April 11, 2005

What The Hell?

Brian McLaren's new book, "The Last Word, And the Word After That," is his third in the "A New Kind of Christian" trilogy. I just started reading it. It's a deconstruction of Hell. Huh? Well, not necessarily deconstructing Hell itself, but the ideas of Hell, the construct of Hell, the use of Hell in theology, sermons, and evangelism. In short, McLaren thinks we Christians have a screwed up view of Hell by either overemphasis or Hell neglect.

So far so good. It's challenging and promises to be more so as the plot unfolds. I think I am going to feel a little bit naked while reading this because some of my assumptions he nudged in the first two books are going to be taken head on in this one.

Messy Chrisitian is blogging some about McLaren's book here. Check it out.

And now, for something totally different, 40 Days of Fat is moving right along with more people joining with weight loss, contributions to World Vision and words of encouragement. I even think Cookie Monster might be joinging. Click here to find out more about 40 Days of Fat.

4 comments:

Sivin Kit said...

I just got the only copy of Brian's new book tonight. My contact said there were two copies ... apparently someone beat me on the other one (which I wanted to get for the church library) :-)

It's a page turner.

Fajita said...

Sivin Kit, Can't wait to hear what you've got tay about it. My wife has our copy most of the time, so I am having a hard time reading it. She'll probably be done tonight. Then I'll dive in deep.

Anonymous said...

I ate dinner With McLaren last night. He is such a nice guy. I don't know how you could not like this guy.

Sivin Kit said...

I just got the only copy of Brian's new book tonight. My contact said there were two copies ... apparently someone beat me on the other one (which I wanted to get for the church library) :-)

It's a page turner.