Pages

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Lofty Ideas

My wife and I are building something again. Our current project is a loft bed for our son who just turned 5 years old. His older sister, who turns 7 tomorrow, just had her fairy castle loft build last month. Our son's loft will be a train. We're still working out the kinks. So far, zero marital crises on this project. It's a record.

You really need to understand what's happening here. I don't build. From my father I inherited tool allergies. Growing up I heard questions from my dad like this: "Where's the screwdriver?"

The screwdriver - the only one.

You can see how I didn't have a chance.

My wife, on the other hand, grew up with a father who, when their church built a new church building, he dismantled the old church building and built a house from the materials. No lie! My wife tells stories of chipping mortar from bricks to see if they could be saved for their house.

Can you see where this is headed? She thought all men were like her dad. I was a home improvement moron. We hooked up.

After nearly 9 years of projects (every single one of them her idea), we are learning how to build together. It's still hard, but I am learning from her every single time. I'm self-conscious, tentative, and have positively no sense in structural soundness, but I don't need any of that. All I need to do if listen, cut, and lift.

You know, I really like my wife.


Now, go check out what's happening at 40 Days of Fat.

4 comments:

Fajita said...

Aha, this must be my brother, the angel of hope and encouragement. Thanks. Boottothehead.

Hugo said...

lol! :-) reminds me of my relationship with my wife. Everytime there's a project to be done, by initial reactios is "who do we call / who can we hire / my uncles and/or friends can come over and help me [translation: they can do the work while I stand around and pretend to help]". Her immediate reactions is "let's pull down the seats, head to Home Depot, and get started."

Nine years of marriage for us and we finally did something togetehr this past summer on home repair: we painted the inside of our house :-) Our only other major home repair project was when we first bought the house - we painted the cabinets in our kitchen white and replaced the hardware . . . thank God our house isn;t a fixer upper! :-)

Many prayers! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Fajita said...

Hugo, Thanks for the words of hope. It'll bring you together or rip you up. I'm all for the bring you together stuff.

Hugo said...

yeah - we're compromising - she doesn't push as much adn i help out more :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo