Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Last Post until August

Northern Minnesota, here I come!!!!!!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What so impressed me with Ghandi was his ability to resist power in all of its forms. He could not be compelled to obey nor could he seduced to gain power. I got to thinking about this as I read Messy Ministry and the Joel Osteen article to which it referred.

When I see the life of Ghandi, I see a man who took the life of Jesus seriously. Yes, I very much differ with Ghandi on the conversational, theological level. I believe Jesus is the Son of God and Ghandi didn't. And yes, that's a super-duper important thing. At the same time, when a Hindu does the Christian life better than Christians, you have got to wonder about that.

I am not suggesting that we all wear a loin cloth and walk with a goat for milk. What I am suggesting is to observe power and how it is used. In the USA, money is power. Look at the church and its use of its money, its power. It is used for comfort in many, many ways.

Rarely does a church use money for lifting up the oppressed, for opposing the oppressors, for liberating the slaves, blessing the world. You listen to Joel Osteen and it sounds like the end purpose for "blessing" (wealth and health and comfort) is for the Christian to enjoy them. I'm not saying "have no joy," but I am saying that we are blessed for the purpose of sharing, not hoarding.

Ghandi refused to be oppressed and he refused to be an oppressor. He refused luxury until everyone had luxury. The greatest power Ghandi had was the power of refusal. He would not be oppressed and he would not be seduced.

He took on more burden than just his own. He took personal responsibility for the injustices of his day. No, not that he created injustice, but rather that avoiding it adds to it.

So a couple of you out there might say, "So, is Ghandi in Heaven? Because, in the end, that's all that matters." To anyone asking such a question, I will say this: "If actions speak truth, then I will sit with Ghandi in Heaven." But I will also say, "Unless you have given of yourself like Ghandi did, then you don't even have right to ask the question."


Now that you have gone deep within yourself and pondered Ghandi & Jesus, take some time to read something else that will have a long, lasting impact on your life. This should keep you busy at 650+ page (unless you're under 18 years old, then it'll take 14 straight hours).

7 comments:

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Be careful driving, my young brother-in-law. Talk to you guys when you return.

Anonymous said...

I love it.

Hugo said...

I read it in 5 hours (give or take a few minutes), and I'm 33 :-)

I'm also very impressed with Gandhi's life - and I agree that he lived out a more Christ-like life then I do or that many Christians I know do - I'm inspired by his inspiration, drawn from teh Sermon on the Mount - would that we could all follow Jesus with such single minded devotion.

And for what it's worth, I firmly believe that we'll be feasting along with Gandhi at the banqueting table of God.

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Johnson said...

The ony way that Ghandi will inherit the Kingdom is if he was a follower of Christ. And, while we may admire a man's life and actions, I think we should be careful how we elevate the individual.

Hugo said...

Travis: I'd have to respectfully disagree - my last post talks about it - come and see! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Gabe said...

Enjoy Minnesota. I know you know it's beautiful!

Travis Johnson said...

The ony way that Ghandi will inherit the Kingdom is if he was a follower of Christ. And, while we may admire a man's life and actions, I think we should be careful how we elevate the individual.