Pages

Monday, February 14, 2005

This Church Needs An Enema

Yeah, I got your attention.

I believe it was ther Joker in the first Batman movie to say, "This town needs an enema." Man, was that cool? What he meant was that there is a cleansing that needs to occur.

Is it any less true in the church? Christians need to be cleansed of their Christian subcutlure that they (we) have constructed around ourselves.

If evangelicals are not the modern day version of Pharisees, I do not know who is. Evangelicals are intentionally seeking to save a culture (or a perception of a culture they have chersihed) that is dying and they are getting more and more aggressive in ther efforts to defend. That is how the Pharisee sect became so rigid. Yes, their intent was actually good in some ways, but the result was the worst of all people Jesus encountered.

Maybe the fact that churches that close their doors for the last time number in the 1000's annually is the enema we have been needing for a long time.

No longer do we need to be the last hold out of the Christian subculture. We need to engage the culture that really is. Then, and only then will there be influence in a more Jesus-like way.

5 comments:

Greg Brooks said...

Wet and wild, baby. Wet and wild.

David U said...

WOW......I never thought of it in that graphic way, but you are right. We need a cleansing. Isn't that what an enema does? I'm for what EVER it takes, so sign me up!

DU

SteveA said...

Yup we need wakin up. Say, I guess you imply the "we" are evangelicals. I wonder if most CofC'ers view themselves as evangelicals? Many wouldn't have until recently. The motion seems to be in that direction however.

SteveA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David U said...

WOW......I never thought of it in that graphic way, but you are right. We need a cleansing. Isn't that what an enema does? I'm for what EVER it takes, so sign me up!

DU