Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Tool Man

I despise handyman work. I do it only for selfish reasons. If the reward is large enough, I'll do it. But seldom is there a reward large enough. For example, some wood under our kitchen sink is going bad. I am sewriously considering selling the house rather than try to fix it, or (Heaven forbid) replace the cabinets. I can't think a reward large enough to do that job. I've doneit once in my life, doesn't that count forever? When I say I ahte doing this type of thing I know what I'm talking about.

I moved a light fixture today from one room to another. I feel like a hero because the job is done and I did not get electricuted.

I can say that I have, with the moving of the light fixture, surpassed my father's capcity for tools. I went beyond duct tape and bungy cords. I actually used a power tool. In fact, simply owning a power tool puts me way ahead in my family of origin.

1 comment:

jegtogo said...

Hey, I like it. But there is a whole philosophy you are missing. The basic premise is this: if you do work poorly enough, you will not be asked to do it again. Because there is (and always has been) this underlying driving factor that women believe all men should do these types of things... handywork, that is. Men, then, tend to do this kind of work out of a sense of guilt (or that they may be 'weak' if they don't) precipitated by this belief that women hold. I believe it is time for collective 'poor performance' to counter this belief and desire. Leave the handywork to the professional! and let's move on to more important things.

jeg