Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2007

How I learn

One of the things I am learning in doctoral studies is how I learn. Here are three examples.

1. I learn by writing. I knew this already, but I am finding that so much becomes clear to me when I write.

2. I learn by conversing. I need others to talk with. In my conversations with people I am affirmed and corrected. Knowledge and insight are created in conversation.

3. I learn by failing in front of other people. This is in no way pleasant, but it sure does motivate. When I fail publicly and then come to awarenes of my failure, I can feel the blood fill the flesh in my face. The humiliation can get so intense that I want to run away and become a ditch digger in Alaska. But then I come to realization that I have borrowed too much money to avoid graduation - and I stand there and take it, red face and all.

4 comments:

preacherman said...

Chris,
Excellent post and list.
I hope you have a blessed weekend.

Keith Brenton said...

It's only a problem when we DON'T learn by failing.

Anonymous said...

#3 is the best. Failure can be the greatest teacher.

Keith Brenton said...

It's only a problem when we DON'T learn by failing.