Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Smells Like Church Spirit #2.5

Smells Like Church Spirit #1
Smells Like Church Spirit #2

What do you smell like? Do pre-christians take a whiff of you and are repulsed like bad gas or are they attracted to you like a fine smelling roast?

Think about where you live, what you wear, what you drive, your language, your church, etc. Everything about you smells powerfully, but what is that scent?

I volunteer a little bit of time at a ministry in my town, a place for poorer children, basically. They are mostly African American and Latino (which might be good for me because my dad is a "Black Mexican").

I wonder what I smell like to those kids. Do I smell like the rich guy who comes from on high and condescends to them from my superior position and then returns to safe and clean place of the wealthy? That, my friends, is bad gas. It is also a somewhat accurate description of what I do with these kids. I would not blame them for thinking so.

What I hope to do is to be a connecter. I want to connect to them with the love of Christ in me. Yes, the Bible stories I tell are important, but they need to experience that this story is happening in me. If they believe that it is happening in me, then they can believe that there is something to this story.

6 comments:

Donna G said...

I think you are also letting them get a "whiff" of hope. Through you they may see a way to better their lives...

but me, I don't always smell too good!

CL said...

I love this post. The idea that our "Scent" does matter. And every kid/teen/young adult I have ever met can tell if our scent is real or junk. I appreciate you sharing this, I needed the reminder.

David U said...

Great post, Chris! Keep em coming. I am still laughing at your post about the onions and stomach pains.......but especially the deacon! :) What a hoot!

Your brother,
DU

carina romano said...

i've heard non-americans say that americans smell like milk. that kind of makes me grossed out.

Fajita said...

Eeeeeeeeeewwww! Milk? Sour milk?

Sprittibee said...

Enjoyed this one. I'll be back to read more!